Gor Mahia fails to go past Apr to bow out of CECAFA Kagame Club Championships


Kenya’s representatives in the 2014 CECAFA Kagame Cup Championship Gor Mahia bowed out of the tournament after a 2-2 draw against Rwandese APR FC in their third match played on 15th August at Kigali regional stadium.


This draw comes after Gor Mahias dismal performance that has left them bottom of Group B having lost their two group stage matches.

Gor’s Maestro Dan Sserunkuma could have widened the score from 2-1 three minutes from the end of regulation time but had his goal nullified for fouling keeper.

APR went on to score a stoppage time goal through APR substitute Bernabe Mubumbyi in the 92nd minute to condemn  K’Ogalo out of the 16-day tournament that has attracted 14 clubs from 11 countries.

APR who were trailing behind Gor equalized courtesy of Barnabe Mubumbvi who scored in the dying moment of the game, thanks to the additional time.

Jean Baptiste Mugiraneza had earlier punished a defensive error by Gor Mahia converting a corner kick from Charles Tibingana in the 24th minute to hand the Rwandan giants a 1-0 advantage.

Goalkeeper Jerim Onyango saved the first shot from defender Ismael ‘Kodo’ Nshutiyamagara but Mugiraneza commonly known as ‘Migi’ tapped in the rebound to send the home crowd in jubilation.

Geoffrey ‘Baba’ Kizito equalized for Gor Mahia in the second half before Godfrey Walusimbi converted a nicely taken freekick past APR custodian Olivier Kwizera to give K’Ogalo a 2-1 lead in the 85th minute.

Tables turned in stoppage time when Mubumbyi beat two defenders to put the ball past Onyango who was left languishing on the artificial turf.

The 2-2 result means that Gor Mahia is out of the regional competition after amassing just a point in their three matches including a 2-1 loss to Uganda’s KCCA and a shocking 1-0 loss to Burundi’s Atletico.

Disappointed with the result, Gor Mahia head coach Bobby Williamson blamed poor officiating and lamented, “It was a bad game, a disgrace and very disappointing performance. The linesman and referee were not fair at all. They have cost us this game.”

George Odhiambo, Timothy Otieno and Sserunkuma got several chances to give K’Ogalo a third goal but were unlucky in front of goal.

Gor Mahia now lags at the very bottom of the 2014 CECAFA Kagame Cup tournament’s group B table with a single point after three matches.

Gor will face Djibouti’s Telecom in their last game on Sunday afternoon before leaving Kigali on Monday.