Gor Mahia 1-2 KCCA (Uganda): K’Ogalo beaten in Kagame Cup opener


Second half substitute Brian Umony scored with two minutes left to deny K’Ogalo a point from this contest played at Amahoro Stadium in Kigali

Second half substitute Brian Umony scored late to deny Gor Mahia in the opening match of Cecafa Kagame Cup tournament at Amahoro Stadium in Kigali, Rwanda.

Gor Mahia started the match on a positive note with striker Dan Sserunkuma putting them ahead in 27th minute. KCCA leveled matters through Brian Majwega in 57th minute before Umony struck the winner with two minutes left to full time.

Gor Mahia coach Bobby Williamson admitted that laxity in second period cost the team. “We relaxed too much in second period and allowed KCCA to dominate.

“We were not accurate in our passes and the moment you allow your opponent space in the middle of the pack…then you have to be ready to be punished and that is what exactly happened.

“We must now prepare well for our second Group match because it is a must win contest. We need to go as far as we can in this competition and our next match is a must win.”

True to Williamson’s sentiments, Gor Mahia were the better side in first half with Sserunkuma, George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo and Timothy Otieno coming close on several occasions.

Sserunkuma came close twice before finally finding the back of the net. Then Otieno put the ball in the net in 29th minute but the goal was ruled for offside. Gor Mahia’s style of play in that period forced KCCA to an early substitute with Majwenga coming in for Bengo.

The second half belonged to KCCA, who dominated from onset, and it looked like they could have won by a wider margin had it not been heroics from Gor Mahia captain and goalkeeper Jerim Onyango.

Brian Majwenga then put KCCA level and the goal was long overdue since they had taken control of the match. Gor Mahia then hit back with two substitutions, Simon Mburu coming in for Goddfrey ‘Baba’ Kizito and ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo being rested for Joseph Kariuki.

Again keeper Onyango was forced to make another save as KCCA continued to dominate the Kenyan champions, who looked tired after an energy-sapping first half.